Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Dodger is Thriving

Yes, I'm his mother. So if it bugs you that I brag, skip this post. I love that Dodger is a happy child. I remember my melancholy days too well, and he is just a gift. Yesterday he walked out of the school door grinning ear to ear and holding his chest. Then he pulled out his "take home" folder in which he wrote a note "mom i got a gold medal". He showed me the note, then the sticker on his chest. He told me that his teacher, Mrs. Litzner gave him this special award during writer's workshop because he has really come a long way from the beginning of school. He used to ask her during writing time "When can I be done? How many sentences?" But she told him yesterday that he really stretched it out. He wrote his first chapter book! Illustrated and all...It's about his favorite holiday: Halloween. Can't beat dress up and candy. :) He and I have been reading Magic Tree House books together and he loves chapter books now. He has recently "graduated" to chapter books in reading group and today was another fun after-school pick up experience. He was grinning and said: "Mom, I can't wait to do my homework today!" Then showed me the book. I was showing my excitement and he said "No, just kidding. I already did it today instead of having free time!" Will he always love school like this? No pressure, Mrs. Contich, but please keep giving him teachers that ROCK!!!

No comments: