Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Dodger Turned 6

Last Monday Dodger turned 6. It was the first day of Spring Break, so lots of his schoolmates were out of town. We spent the whole year before planning and talking about when and where we'd have his 6th birthday party. He would tell me way back in July that he wanted a Bionicle cake and that we'd go bowling or to Let It Shine again. But as it rolled around, we had a small family party that turned into Dodger getting toys every day for a whole week! He almost has the entire Aqua Raiders Lego collection. We just hit Papa up for the big one last night. :) Those things are not cheap! But the best present, in my opinion, was a $1.50 kite I bought him. Monday was a sunny, windy day and we spent the entire morning outside. We got the kite up in the sky and it was a moment I wish i could go back to. I'm going to remember it forever. The great day didn't end there. I told Dodger he could be the boss that day and do or eat whatever he wanted...candy for breakfast, snacks right after that, you name it. He took total control as he said "Today, I'm going to be the Daddy". My sister and her daughter Winter came all the way out from Lebanon to spend the afternoon with us. It was so fun. Page is a 2nd grade teacher and was amazed at Dodger's ability to build Aqua Raider Legos and follow directions. The only problem was, when he needed help I couldn't help him. My brain doesn't work that way. If I'm bragging on him, I'm really just exposing my lack. ;) We played outside again until Winter gave out and once they went home, Troy took us to Chuck E. Cheese. My only bummer of the day was that we have a tradition of going to a movie with Julie D. on Dodger's "real" birthday and there wasn't anything suitable in the theatre for kids. But the day was super special and none of us would have changed it a bit.

No comments: