Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Dang, Where's the Tang?

Sorry, folks. That sounds crude. But all I want is a sweet orange drink and I can't find our Tang powder. I woke up sweaty just now from an hour and a half long nap. Baby girl is still asleep. :) I was dreaming that I was in the middle of a movie - not watching it, part of the cast. It was a combo of Pirates of the Caribbean and Beauty and the Beast part 3. Hopefully there's not a part 3, because this was my own rendition. Glad to be awake. Still can't find the Tang. On another note, Dodger and Troy are on an outing with the group. Li Li and I stayed at the hotel for several reasons, not sure which one ranks the highest, but it was naptime, she has a mild fever and is teething, a little cough and the Chinese are so over the top (in my opinion) about all the layers babies need to wear to be protected from the elements. Yes, it is cold outside. But it makes me even more concerned to take a sweaty baby out in the frigid air than just a regularly clothed baby. We went to a Wal Mart yesterday, yes Angie a Wal Mart and all the baby clothes are stay puff outfits. Baby girl is waking up....or not. I'll go til I can't go anymore... Here's some things I'd like to compare about China and American ways - especially for future travelers. Leave the Yoplait at home - even the wonderful Stonyfield Farms yogurt is no match for Chinese Dannon. I keep stashing them in my pockets at breakfast to bring up to the room. Yes, you can bring Carnation Instant Breakfast powder over, b/c the milk is drinkable. But I left mine at home. Only once have we eaten Tuna that we brought and that was yesterday, so I don't really think it is necessary to bring food over here - except for the plane ride. We had to PURCHASE snacks on the first leg of our 8 hour flight. That was a bummer. The beds and pillows in the hotels are much better here than over there. But I can't imagine what a non-smoking hotel room is like b/c I smell like second-hand smoke just from being in our room. No wonder Li Li is coughing. If you are a smoker, no offense. I'm not making a judgment statement, I'm just not one and wish I didn't smell like one. OK. I'm sorry, but the Chinese food is way better over here. Are you surprised? And the memory of the shower pressure at our Raddison in Beijing is torturing me right now. It was unbelievable. I hope to find more Beijing Olympics trinkets in Guangzhou - our next destination, or we won't hear the end of it from Dodger. It was not smart of us to leave the big city w.o the Olympic mascot babies. He keeps saying he wants the green baby. I hope we see a green baby next week or could someone google it for me and order one on Ebay? I think the internet here is in Chinese. Blogger is - and it is BLOCKED so I can't read what I am typing. Am I really this illiterate? Yes. No proofreading folks. Oh well. OH MY GOODNESS. KFC is actually barfable here. No one has lost their lunch yet, but if I had to try to eat that stuff again, I would. Last night we went to a walking only district and I highly recommend it for future Nanchang families. We didn't buy anything, but I felt like I was in Europe. Julie is saying "That's because you've never been to Europe". Ok. I felt like I was in Japan then. Lots of cool fashion and stores. I want to go back but I don't think the prices are affordable. If I could, I'd throw out all the clothes i brought just to bring back some of those. THEY ARE THAT COOL and I am looking that much like I'm camping every day. At least I am glad I haven't cut my hair. Troy says "When are you going to cut your hair?" He likes it short. But Li Li likes to grab it and play with it and pull it out. So maybe she'll actually make my hair short. We saw some salons, and I wanted to go in, but how would I tell them that I want my hair just like my sister's? She has the best cut right now. I wish I had a photo of it! PAGE! E-MAIL A PHOTO OF YOUR HAIR TO ME AND I'LL TAKE IT TO THE SALON HERE!!!!! Li Li is still asleep! And here's somthing new...She kept trying to throw herself out of my arms so when I laid her down she rolled back and forth moaning until she fell asleep. It was much more like I imagined her doing if she slept in a crib. She is slowly getting more secure I guess. Two days ago she was on me, yesterday she had to touch me, now I'm at the computer and she's in the middle of the king sized bed. There is a lady cleaning our room and I know she feels strange that I am here. She came earlier and I told her to stay, but she came back with a note that said "May I clean your room now?" She almost left again, but i pointed her in...she is in the bathroom. I wonder if she has found the Tang? :)

1 comment:

Snowflowers Mum said...

I love reading your posts. I hope you are able to visit the orphanage...hope you find your Tang girl!