Saturday, December 22, 2007

Guangzhou aka Canton

We made it to our semi-final destination.  We're here in Guangzhou to get baby girl's visa and celebrate Christmas, then it's back to the states for we four!  The children are a bed, so I can have some uninterrupted thoughts.  Wait. Troy can't find the meds.  Okay. We're good.  We had a trial run flight today only of about an hour.  During that time I sat in apple juice, threatened my eldest to eat a sesame "digestive" cookie, then he sat in throw up.  The really bad part is it is all over my new friend's sweater, so if she reads this I have to confess.  I'm hoping to wash it myself and then have it laundered.  For a short flight, it was one of the hardest 1/2 days we've had.  At least the baby was happy.  No issues with her, except the formula was packed in the luggage and I think the bellboy got lost on the way to our room.  But we're settled and ready to take on the next six days.  Unfortunately we'll only be able to post words and pics because the video won't upload to blogger here.  We'll keep working on it.  We had a cute patty cake diddy to show, but oh well.  Another time.  Dodger and I split the best $18 hamburger and fries today - US dollars.  This hotel, the White Swan, is not cheap.  Apparently the shopping around us is, but you can't browse w/o being attacked by the merchants, and it's exhausting to watch a child, keep the other in a pouch and stay on guard.  We were so close to finding the Starbucks today for an afternoon treat, but went the wrong direction.  We did see photo shoots galore of not so glam models, so we are wondering if there is a modeling school or photography school nearby?  We sat and watched them pose for awhile.  Dodger thought one of them wasn't alive because she didn't move for 2 or 3 minutes.  Great news: We each have our own bed in this hotel, so there's no family bed sharing and hopefully all of us will get better sleep.  Since Li Li is now rolling in each direction it's just not safe to put her on a twin bed with me.  I gave her a bottle, rocked her and put her in the crib for the 2nd time.  Troy placed her in it for naptime today while Dodger and I had a moneyless date out on the town.  That's where we discovered the park with slides and semi-exercise equipment...the river walk, people - ones and twos doing tai chi, and all the merchants who wanted our business.  I was being super nice and talking to store owners a long time b/c I knew I didn't have a penny, but I may have done myself in for tomorrow...I just can't be rude.  But I also haven't been able to walk into a store yet because their persistence is pushing me away.  Jiangxi is the province where Li Li is from.   Her orphanage - no, it's not hers! What am I saying!  The town she came to us from is 3 1/2 hours from the capitol Nanchang (where we were) and...what is my point?  OH - they are known for their spicy food and their porcelain in that province so I bought her a present yesterday.  If it remains intact, it will be a gift for her when she is much much older and out of the careless, breakable age - like 20.  I also, surprisingly shed my first tears here in China.  We were boarding the bus for the airport which would take our girl further away from everything she has ever known, and it was very somber.  I want her to know that I care that we've turned her world upside down.  It was a bitter sweet step toward our future and her first plane ride.  I'll always remember the different colored flags that I saw when we stepped outside the airport in anticipation to be one step closer to her, and the same flags as I walked away from Nanchang, toward Guangzhou.  She didn't seem to mind.  Then all the stuff went spilling and spewing and somehow the moment left.  But it has been a day.  the plan is to go to bed, get up and take Li Li for a Visa photo then go to church in CHINA!!!! It is not illegal!  Is this news to anyone else but me?  OOOOHHHHHHH and why didn't I say this first?!?!?!? This is so serious...another news flash:  We stumbled into our hotel room, ravenous... I turned on the TV as we were settling in, and there was NEWS THAT ERIC VOLZ HAS BEEN RELEASED FROM PRISON IN NICARAGUA!!! THIS IS A MIRACLE, FOLKS!  If you are in the dark about him, HE'S ON THE COVER OF FOX NEWS and his mother is dear. Very dear.  Please continue to keep Maggie and her son, Eric in your prayers.  I was literally jumping up and down thanking Jesus.  I hope you will do the same! :)  OK. I'm going to bed.  Either that, or eating some more.  I guess I'll go to bed.  Please e-mail us.  We are missing friends and family!!!!! xooamy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, Have loved getting to hear all that you have been up to and thinking about and have been sharing your precious moments with your Thursday Pilates' gang! Congratulations on such a wonderful venture! I cry whenever I share your story, it is beautiful , moving and inspiring! Did you know you were given the SEAL award at the Christmas dinner at the Y? Her final comment about you before announcing who the winner was, was, "To know Amy is to Love Amy!" Please know you are loved! Maggie

Beth P. said...

Amy, We are so inspired and touched by your story. You have shown such grace and strength. This time is precious. Soak it all in, as I know you will. We will continue to pray for your safe return with your Christmas miracle!
Merry Christmas,
Beth P