Saturday, December 15, 2007

Today's Adventures

I don't know what post # this is, but I know tomorrow is GOTCHA DAY! We can't wait to meet our Jubilee! I am a zombie right now, so Troy's words would be more eloquent. But we promised Dodger some Chinese candy today, so they are out on a search.  My fingers are still frozen from the trek up the Great Wall (so is my brain) so if something is missspelled, forgive.  Dennis is our guide and Dodger calls him "Mr. Dentist".  It's actually quite funny and Dennis didn't skip a beat when Dodger wondered if Mr. Dentist would be climbing the GW with us and he said "Yes, but I won't want to check your teeth after that".  I personally had the best shower of my life today, the best buffet breakfast and the best Chinese food - ever.  It was a huge let down, however to get to the Great Wall and not want to climb it.  Dodger was skipping up ahead, Troy closely behind, and me...dizzy headed, short of breath and trying to rid myself of the many recommended layers for staying warm.  I checked my heart rate monitor watch and I think it lied.  I was sure to have a heart attack at any moment.  So...my first big expectation came and went.  I had dreams of climbing the wall, feeling exhilarated and refreshed by the exercise.  Instead, I stood by the hero sign (the spot that you actually become one by climbing that far) and I just laughed, while Troy and Dodger skipped up 100 more stairs...and back.  Everywhere we have gone today, people stare at Dodger and giggle or point.  One couple came over and asked for a picture WITH our celebrity son, and later at the Forbidden City, these sweet older women were taking turns getting his photo with them.  We loved our day and all we learned about Jubilee's homeland.  She's Li Li, by the way. Dodger always interjects that when people ask "So, what are you naming your baby?"  I learned something about dragons today and want to pass it along before I forget - I have a bad memory and can't tell a story to save my life...so hear goes.  And you know me, the details could be slightly off. I liked what I received through my personal filter, so again...here goes.  On our Forbidden City tour there was mention of the primitive Chinese - long before other civilizations.  Our guide was sure to tell us that of course they know dragons aren't real, while all the while it has been a part of their legacy that they are known for....He said that way back when different minorities and people groups fought against one another (he related it to the Native Americans) the stronger people group would conquer the other group's totem pole "mascot" - oh, did I mention the Chinese are EXTREMELY supersticious to put it mildly... so, my bad story telling side is surfacing...it was cool. I promise.  People groups had totem poles.  The more powerful group would overtake and steal the animal that represented the group they conquered, and they would build their own totem pole.  The stronger the group, the taller the pole.  It is believed that the dragon is the most powerful creature of all, because it is made up of each of the different animals (which represent the various regions/ethnic groups).  For instance, the nose is the snout of a pig, the skin is made of snake scales, there's the forehead of a bear, etc. including each of the regions and animals to be the most powerful being of all.  I thought it was cool. Is this even making sense?  I can tell I need to sign off.  We did get some great footage today and will post it soon.  Since I can't remember the Chinese word for goodbye right now, I'll just say adios. -Amy

5 comments:

China Traveler said...

So excited for you and can hardly wait to read about and see pictures of Zizi! Our prayers continue. Rest as you can but this is such an exciting time!

Dorris family

Snowflowers Mum said...

I love it! the story, and the fact that you get your baby TOMORROW! Take thousands of photos! I cant wait to see!

Hayley

KT said...

I can't wait to read your post tomorrow and meet Li Li. I couldn't do the climbing either. You didn't mention that all of the steps are uneven and have dips in them. I don't know how anyone skips up them. I got as far as you! Have fun, take more pictures then you think are enough.

Anonymous said...

We are SOOO excited for you! Can't wait to hear about tomorrow! Sounds like you've had some awesome experiences on the tour! Tell Celebrity Dodger we said Hi! :) See you soooooon! Love, Shani, Jeff & Katie

Anonymous said...

Congrats on everything. I hope tomorrow goes well. It is a very exciting time.