Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fishing in China



Yesterday our small group of 5 families went to the "countryside" to see and walk around a small Chinese village. The people were absolutely amazing. The village was about 20 buildings in a semi-circle around a 5-6 acre lake/pond. We got there just in time to see the men of the village harvesting the fish out of the pond with a net. They called it white fish (a delicacy) and the were all ~18 inches long. There were 8-10 men holding up a net walking it slowly into shore while 10-15 people at each end were helping them pull the net in. Dodger, Blaise (Dodger's little friend), and myself walked down to the shore and the villagers immediately started yelling (in chinese) for me to come help them so I jumped in and help pull the net in for a while. They thought that was the funniest thing ever! I gave the camera to Dodger to get some pictures but he only got my arm... :).

The biggest point of conversation in the village was my lack of "layers" and the fact that Li Li only had two sweaters on over her T-shirt. In the winter the Chinese put layer upon layer on themselves and their children. Our guide explained to them them I could wear short sleeves because my arms are so hairy. That got a huge cackle out of the entire group. One older lady (probably 70 years old) went as far as to walk up to Amy and start counting the layers that Li Li had on then stuck her tongue out at her. It was pretty funny....

The Village also grows mushrooms to sell in the local market. One picture below is of a mushroom house. - Troy








No comments: